Informational Interview Tips
The objective of an informational interview is to gain a better understanding of the career you are interested in pursuing. By talking with an individual currently in the field, it will be possible to get a first hand opinion of the career you are considering.
Some questions to consider asking:
- What does a typical work day look like?
- What type of educational background do you need to begin this type of work?
- How did you begin a career in this field?
- What do you see as the potential for growth in this career field?
There are no real rules to an informational interview. You are in control of the interview. These questions are just examples.
Benefits of an Informational Interview
- Learn: It gives you a chance to learn about a career and a company
- Network: It expands your network
- Market Yourself: It allows you to express your interest in the career and state the qualifications you currently have as a means for a justification for your interest
By the end of the interview, the person that you have interviewed will leave with the following:
- they will have an impression of you
- they will know about your skills and past experience
Tags: informational interview